"Antigua" Hermitage

The current Antigua hermitage, originally the Ondarroa´s parish, was built towards the end of the 15th century, although there is written evidence of an earlier construction.

Strategically located on a hill above the town, the hermitage was once fortified. It also served as a lighthouse.

Only the outside of the hermitage preserves its original Gothic style. It has undergone several renovations over the centuries that combined Gothic, Neoclassic and Baroque styles. The latter was the result of reforms carried out by Francisco de Ibero in 1759.

The Virgin of Antigua, whose original statue no longer exists, has long been venerated with great fervour by the arrantzale or fishermen and the people of Ondarroa.