Burgoa farmhouse

Burgoa farmhouse

The Burgo farmhouse, “Burgoa”, is located in the boundary between the provinces of biscay and Gipuzkoa, in the municipality of Berriatua. The original settlement must have been around 150 m. to the northwest of the current farmhouse. It was burned down by French troops during the Convention War of 1794. The nearby Santikurutz Hermitage suffered the same fate.

Burgoa farmhouse

The land around the farmhouse was a sel, or a fenced, circular pasture for grazing cows. The boundary stone that marks the centre of the sel or pasture is in the field behind the farmhouse, as J. M. de Barandiaran mentioned in 1928. The remaining 15 or 16 boundary stones form an almost perfec circle within a radius of 250m.